- Malaysian Restaurants
- Malaysian Cuisine
- Media Galleries
- News and Events
Satay Ayam dan Kuah Kacang (Barbecued Chicken and Spicy Peanut Sauce) Recipeby Susheela Raghavan, author or "Flavors or Malaysia" (Hippocrene, August 2010)
Directions1) Process Marinade ingredients to a smooth paste. Combine Spice Blend ingredients. Add Spice Blend, sugar, salt, and vinegar to the marinade and mix well.
2) Rub chicken with the spice paste to coat. Marinate for a minimum of 2 to 4 hours but preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
3) Skewer marinated chicken (if using wooden skewers, soak them first in warm water for about 20 to 30 minutes to soften).
4) Grill chicken (preferably over charcoal fire), basting occasionally with lemongrass brush or regular basting brush dipped in the oil or oil-sugar mixture.
5) Serve with Peanut Sauce.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons thinly sliced or chopped palm sugar (gula Melaka or gula Jawa) or dark brown sugar (or use light brown sugar for a lighter color)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced into 2 to 3-inch lengths
- Optional: 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised with the back of a knife, to be used as a brush for basting
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cooking oil for basting
- Satay Marinade: 2 to 3 teaspoons sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sliced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots or onions
- 1 lemongrass stalk, sliced (about Â¼ cup)
- 1/4 cup water
- Spice Blend: 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chile powder
- Garnish: Sliced shallot or onion rings, Sliced cucumbers